Uni City Lodge would like to welcome International students and make the process of moving to the UK as easy and hassle free as possible.

Why choose UCL?

  • Walking distance to Coventry University
  • Spacious apartments
  • Hard wired fast internet connection in each bedroom
  • Every apartment has its own private kitchenette and shower room facilities
  • Good public transport links in walking distance
  • Each room has its own desk so that you can study in the peace and comfort of your own room

Pre – arrival information

What to remember when packing...

  • Check baggage allowances of the airline that you will be travelling with prior to leaving your home country.
  • Insure your baggage before heading to the UK.
  • We will provide you with a basic insurance for the contents of your room, however if you have valuables exceeding the basic cover then you can upgrade at an extra cost.

Do I need to bring bedding and kitchen equipment with me?

The apartments at Uni City Lodge are fully furnished, however you will need to bring some basics;

  • Duvet (We recommend at least 13.5tog)
  • Pillows and bed linen
  • Desk lamp
  • Coat hangers
  • Fused adapter (not a 3way plug)
  • Bath and kitchen towels
  • Personal toiletries and toilet paper
  • Crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils
  • Pots and pans

What clothing do I need to bring?

As the UK can get pretty cold in the winter and fairly hot in the summer we would advise that you bring a variety of clothing from Jumpers, hats and gloves to t-shirts, shorts and skirts.

What electrical items do I need to bring?

In your apartment you will have Kettle, toaster, mini oven and fridge but you may want to bring other items such as a desk lamp and a laptop.

The mains electrical power in the UK is 240v. UK plug sockets take 13amp with a 3 pinned fused plug. Please check all of your electrical items will work on this voltage before coming to the UK.

Do not bring any electrical items that need mains power unless they are dual voltage 110-120 / 220 – 240v (for example, a laptop computer). Remember this will also apply to your mobile phone charger and you may need to buy an adapter.

How much cash will I need on arrival to the UK?

You will need cash for expenses during your first week. If you have paid for your accommodation and your room deposit then we would advise that you should need about £250. We do not recommend carrying large amounts of money or valuables around for your own safety.

How do I set up a UK bank account?

You will need a UK bank account whilst studying in the UK so being prepared with the documents you will need to provide to the bank will save you a lot of time. For all information on opening a UK bank account as an international student please visit this website .

The main banks in Coventry are


55 Corporation St, Coventry, West Midlands CV1 1GX

Barclays PLC

25 High St, Town Centre, Coventry, West Midlands CV1 5QZ

Natwest Santander

24 Broadgate, Coventry, West Midlands CV1 1NE


70 Hertford St, Coventry, West Midlands CV1 1JT

Coventry Building Society

Economic House, High St, Coventry CV1 5QN

Co - operative

6 Warwick Rd, Coventry, West Midlands CV1 1EE

Yorkshire Bank

7-11 High St, Town Centre, Coventry CV1 5SB

What Healthcare will be available to me whilst in the UK

If you are studying in the UK for 6 months or more then you will be entitled to a free service from the National Health Service (NHS). You may need to seek advise from your countries health care authorities to find out what you are entitled to. We also recommend that you register with the GP department at the local NHS Health Centre. Stoney Stanton Road, West Midlands, Coventry, CV1 4SF Telephone number 0300 200 0060.

Immigration and Visas

To study in the UK you will require a student Visa. For all information on immigration and Visas please visit either of these websites that will answer all of your questions. or

If you are living with us and your circumstances change and you are no longer studying or if you are no longer residing at this address we may be required to report these changes to immigration authorities.